Changes In Football thread

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Changes In Football thread

by Silver Fox » 29 Nov 2022 11:41

Hendo
Winston Biscuit
Loafer yes that is silly

but if you do not practice heading when younger then how you going to ever become a pro footballer ?

Its only banned heading the day before and day after a game. afaik there is usually no training the day after a game anyway, sometimes debriefs, warm downs, massages, gym work etc, but not full on training. The day before is usually more of a tactical session based on the opponent rather than just practicing shooting, heading etc.

I guess the big thing the day before the game might be set piece work, both attacking and defending. I guess they'll just move it to a different day.

Overall seems like a sensible idea to me.

Also, the ban in question is for professional footballers so you'd have to be pretty stupid* to suggest that this idea would stop someone becoming a pro footballer

*Maybe too many headers??

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Dec 2022 19:56

Asaba was basically ahead of his time.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 12 Dec 2022 20:07

Millsy Asaba was basically ahead of his time.

Good one.
Having had the likes of Senior before and Quinn afterwards we have been used to most of our central strikers being good in the air.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 12 Dec 2022 20:34

I am quite a fan of all the added time being played in the WC (same as La Liga brought in last year). Would be happy with that in English football

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Dec 2022 20:43

Winston Biscuit I am quite a fan of all the added time being played in the WC (same as La Liga brought in last year). Would be happy with that in English football

With 6 mins being added on at the end of each half on Saturday, I’d say it was certainly moving that way. Whilst there were a few injuries in the first half, there weren’t nearly as many in the second.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Dec 2022 14:54

I'm interested in managers having a say re: length of stoppage time, not just up to the ref. Eg the manager of the home team as s/he understands the venue, traffic issues etc.

I suggest the EFL trials this only with Reading at the SCL for the remainder of the season.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Dec 2022 15:32

Hendo
Winston Biscuit I am quite a fan of all the added time being played in the WC (same as La Liga brought in last year). Would be happy with that in English football

With 6 mins being added on at the end of each half on Saturday, I’d say it was certainly moving that way. Whilst there were a few injuries in the first half, there weren’t nearly as many in the second.

Would prefer the Rugby-style clock stoppage, and then once the clock hits 90 mins the game ends once the ball goes out of play

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 14 Dec 2022 15:36

genome
Hendo

Would prefer the Rugby-style clock stoppage, and then once the clock hits 90 mins the game ends once the ball goes out of play

if its out of play, as in off the pitch, then you could see people trying to foul opponents if they look like they are about to kick it out. for that reason I am IN!

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Dec 2022 15:57

Winston Biscuit
genome
Hendo

if its out of play, as in off the pitch, then you could see people trying to foul opponents if they look like they are about to kick it out. for that reason I am IN!

I think in rugby if someone is penalised for something while the clock is red, then play goes on and they're allowed to take the penalty kick. So you wouldn't be able to just hack someone down

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Dec 2022 16:14

genome
Winston Biscuit
genome

I think in rugby if someone is penalised for something while the clock is red, then play goes on and they're allowed to take the penalty kick. So you wouldn't be able to just hack someone down

Yeah, I think that's how it is in rugby as well.

Would imagine it would have to include corners, otherwise someone would just boot it out behind the goal.

I don't mind stoppage time tbh. Think there is a lot of excitement not knowing quite how long is left when teams are pumping the ball into the box.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Dec 2022 10:46

genome
Hendo

No, you’d lose that extra air of excitement amongst home supporters that goes round a ground when the board goes up with a shed load of injury time and the home team are only a goal down.

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 15 Dec 2022 12:12

not for me

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 Dec 2022 09:30

I like it. But on the added time thing - it definitely got less/fewer during the tournament, didn't it?

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 16 Dec 2022 09:52

Was that because the players realised the time wasting wasn't working? Argentina tried it against Netherlands and it back fired completely sending them into extra time and penalties.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 16 Dec 2022 10:46

Club World Cup expanded from 7 teams to 32 teams from 2025

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 16 Dec 2022 12:47

One that I've long thought should be introduced -

You should be able to take a quick free kick from a place that isn't where the foul was committed, assuming it's no closer to the opponents goal.

Would mean you'd potentially still get the benefit of a quick breakaway despite a cynical foul.
Last edited by jd82 on 16 Dec 2022 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 Dec 2022 12:59

Winston Biscuit Club World Cup expanded from 7 teams to 32 teams from 2025

And will become a tournament held only every four years. Infantino's vision is 'a World Cup, but for clubs'. Will be pointless and not much more than an expanded CL with some South American clubs making the QFs.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 16 Dec 2022 15:00

jd82 One that I've long thought should be introduced -

You should be able to take a quick free kick from a place that isn't where the foul was committed, assuming it's no closer to the opponents goal.

Would mean you'd potentially still get the benefit of a quick breakaway despite a cynical foul.

Some refs, but only some, allow this already.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 16 Dec 2022 16:11

I'd also allow teams to move a freekick back if its been given right on the edge of the penalty area if they think it'll help them get the ball over the wall and dip down in time.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 16 Dec 2022 16:21

Sanguine
Winston Biscuit Club World Cup expanded from 7 teams to 32 teams from 2025

And will become a tournament held only every four years. Infantino's vision is 'a World Cup, but for clubs'. Will be pointless and not much more than an expanded CL with some South American clubs making the QFs.

I think the every 4 years tournament is the new FIFA World Series isn't it?