Champions League, Europa League & Europa Conference League 23/24

291 posts
South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Champions League, Europa League & Europa Conference League 23/24

by South Coast Royal » 18 Apr 2024 11:06

Watched the Arsenal game as I had a decent bet on Bayern Munich to win-great value at odds against playing at home.
Arsenal created very little and deserved to lose-our English players Rice and Saka looked far from players that will get us the win in the Euros back in Germany and once again Odegaard didn't look the brilliant player that he is nearly every week in the Premier League.

So I only watched the extra time and penalties in the City game but the commentator told us time and again how City had dominated the game without giving any credit to Real Madrid for their defending-were they lucky or like Palace on Saturday totally committed to keeping the ball out of the net?

Seeing the replay of Real Madrid's game I noticed that Walker (our commentators are forever telling us that he is the best right-back in the world) for their goal seemed to lose his man and was doing a Chris Gunter by being more worried about pointing than stopping the goal.

Pep said some time ago that Walker didn't have great defensive awareness and yet has played him and even made him captain.
It is his pace that so often covers his mistakes and like a lot of modern full-backs his strength is in going forward and of course playing in a side like City he doesn't have to defend very much.

Maybe our pundits will play down our Euros chances just a little after , as URZZZZ posted, some our star turns didn't perform that well in last night's big games-we no doubt have a lot of forward players in contention for places but as Real Madrid showed last night (having some of the better attacking players in world football) it is often, as in NFL, that defences win you the big prizes.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 18 Apr 2024 11:13

South Coast Royal So I only watched the extra time and penalties in the City game but the commentator told us time and again how City had dominated the game without giving any credit to Real Madrid for their defending-were they lucky or like Palace on Saturday totally committed to keeping the ball out of the net?

City did utterly dominate the match. Just in their usual way of doing that without creating too many clear cut chances but they should have won in normal time. That said they did always look like they could concede again on the rare occasions Madrid managed to break quickly. There was some stat that they didn't have another shot in normal time after they scored (or similar) which does give a fair reflection of how the game went,

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 18 Apr 2024 12:09

Winston Biscuit last nights penalty shoot out was also a nice little reminder of players who score the winning penalty then run around celebrating making it all about themselves, completely ignoring the goalkeeper who's saves actually won it for you

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/1c70fa9/andriy_lunins_reaction_after_winning_the_penalty/

Lunin's reaction was slightly more understated than Rudiger.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 18 Apr 2024 12:16

Orion1871
Winston Biscuit last nights penalty shoot out was also a nice little reminder of players who score the winning penalty then run around celebrating making it all about themselves, completely ignoring the goalkeeper who's saves actually won it for you

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/1c70fa9/andriy_lunins_reaction_after_winning_the_penalty/

Lunin's reaction was slightly more understated than Rudiger.

Thats embarassing stuff from Rudiger. Running away from the goalkeeper to try and make it all about himself :lol:

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 18 Apr 2024 12:19

Is he allowed to wander around at the side of the box during the penalty?

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 18 Apr 2024 17:32

Might just watch the dippers tonight.

It'll either be a miracle recovery which, fair fcuks, will be entertaining or I get to see them out of another leg of the QUAD!!!!

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 18 Apr 2024 20:08

Might be on!

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 18 Apr 2024 20:39

Referee had a nightmare in the villa penalty shootout

Sent emi martinez of but then changed his mind :lol:

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 18 Apr 2024 20:45

Or the ref knew the rules about yellow cards in the shootout and the commentator didn't and then spent the rest of the shootout taking the Tory MP approach to being wrong by going on about the ref being shit rather than admit he didn't know the rules.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 18 Apr 2024 21:59

Loafer Referee had a nightmare in the villa penalty shootout

Sent emi martinez of but then changed his mind :lol:

According to the BBC report, yellow cards aren't carried over to penalty shootouts! :shock:

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 18 Apr 2024 22:00

So Villa obviously through; Liverpool and West Ham both out. Leverkusen scoring an 89th minute equaliser on the night to remain undefeated this season.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Apr 2024 22:05

Clyde1998 So Villa obviously through; Liverpool and West Ham both out. Leverkusen scoring an 89th minute equaliser on the night to remain undefeated this season.

Judging that refereeing performance, I can see why Leverkusen are undefeated!

One of the worst officiated second halves I can recall - gave almost everything their way

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 19 Apr 2024 08:03

6ft Kerplunk Or the ref knew the rules about yellow cards in the shootout and the commentator didn't and then spent the rest of the shootout taking the Tory MP approach to being wrong by going on about the ref being shit rather than admit he didn't know the rules.

Hard to believe that Lee Hendrie and DD could both embarrass themselves on such a subject

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 Apr 2024 09:26

I wonder what Tim Dellor would have made of it.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Apr 2024 09:41

can I throw in another interesting law of the game that people often don't know? If a game goes to a penalty shoot out and one of the teams has had a red card during the match, the other team has to nominate a player that is excluded from the shoot out so that in case it goes way into sudden death pens, the teams are rotating the same number of players, and the team who had the red card are not getting back to their first choice penalty taker sooner and therefore gaining an advantage

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Apr 2024 10:43

Winston Biscuit can I throw in another interesting law of the game that people often don't know? If a game goes to a penalty shoot out and one of the teams has had a red card during the match, the other team has to nominate a player that is excluded from the shoot out so that in case it goes way into sudden death pens, the teams are rotating the same number of players, and the team who had the red card are not getting back to their first choice penalty taker sooner and therefore gaining an advantage

Interesting - does that apply to an outfield player only? Or would you be able to nominate the 'keeper, but he is still able to play as 'keeper, just wouldn't be able to take a penalty? Or does it have to be an outfield player?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Apr 2024 10:47

Hendo
Winston Biscuit can I throw in another interesting law of the game that people often don't know? If a game goes to a penalty shoot out and one of the teams has had a red card during the match, the other team has to nominate a player that is excluded from the shoot out so that in case it goes way into sudden death pens, the teams are rotating the same number of players, and the team who had the red card are not getting back to their first choice penalty taker sooner and therefore gaining an advantage

Interesting - does that apply to an outfield player only? Or would you be able to nominate the 'keeper, but he is still able to play as 'keeper, just wouldn't be able to take a penalty? Or does it have to be an outfield player?

The excluding means they take no part at all in the pens, so I assume you can exclude your own keeper if you want, but they can't go in goal. I am assuming all of this, but anything else would be a bit mad IMO

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Apr 2024 10:51

Winston Biscuit
Hendo

The excluding means they take no part at all in the pens, so I assume you can exclude your own keeper if you want, but they can't go in goal. I am assuming all of this, but anything else would be a bit mad IMO

Yeah, would imagine that would be a fairly easy loophole for everyone to exploit if you "excluded" your 'keeper but then they could still be in goal. Would imagine it often is a defender who is excluded.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Apr 2024 10:58

Hendo
Winston Biscuit
Hendo

Yeah, would imagine that would be a fairly easy loophole for everyone to exploit if you "excluded" your 'keeper but then they could still be in goal. Would imagine it often is a defender who is excluded.

Apparently Gattuso was removed from Italian penalty takers in the 2006 WC Final (after Zidane was sent off) which seems a surprise. Evra was removed from Man Utd's CL Final penalty takers in 2008 (after Drogba was sent off)

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 19 Apr 2024 11:08

I’ve always thought that, should a team have a player sent off before penalties, they should be left with one less penalty taker in the original five. They can still win the shoot out, but would be a deterrent from simply shutting up shop

291 posts