Rooney
4%
Ronaldo
13%
The FA
3%
The penalty takers
6%
Under-performing stars (Beckham/Lampard)
29%
Injuries/Bad Luck
No votes
Other
1%

Total votes: 101
Ginger Ninjas

J'accuse

by Ginger Ninjas » 03 Jul 2006 13:40

I know there are a lot of threads on this already, but interested to see the (definitive) hobnob verdict on why England are flying home early (again).

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 03 Jul 2006 13:46

Its obviously the under-performing stars - even though people didn't agree with Svens selections or formation, the 11 players out on the pitch are of a quality that should be able to win the world cup, if not then at least get to the final......

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 03 Jul 2006 13:46

Jay

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 03 Jul 2006 13:47

Where's the 'All of the Above' option?

All of the above, bar Rooney. He worked his arse off but suffered little support and a formation that just doesn't suit him.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 03 Jul 2006 13:47

The Argentinan referee. I never thought he was going to be impartial. But I've voted for Ronaldo anyway.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 03 Jul 2006 13:49

No "Not quite good enough."?

It was inevitable. Easy run to the Quarters, then they up their game but the inertia is too much to take them past the first decent side that they play.

There's good analysis in the Times, btw.

Also, no clear idea of tactics, formation or even style of play. I think 5 different formations in 5 games - that is what friendlies are for, imo, getting that sorted.

But I think it boils down, as I said, that the football was never going to be effective enough. The ball was never used well, it was simplistic tactics with too much reliance on players upping their game when they hadn't done so beforehand. The midfield and attack were almost always too far apart, as shown by the BBC.

The whole argumenbt about good football was not that England should play like Brazil '70, but that they should be able to use the ball well in possession whether in attack or defending. But it was too many long balls, too many poor passes, not enough intelligent use of the ball.

Yes, they got to the Quarter Finals, but looking at the draw, that was utterly expected and had the side lost to Trinidad and Tobago, Ecuador or Paraguay, there would have been uproar. But in those performances, everything was signalled for the eventual defeat. It was just a case of looking. IMO.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Jul 2006 13:57

papereyes had the side lost to Trinidad and Tobago, Ecuador or Paraguay, there would have been uproar. But in those performances, everything was signalled for the eventual defeat. It was just a case of looking. IMO.

As has been quite obvious for the last 2 weeks papereyes, most people are totally blind to the evidence staring them in the face. Despite our best efforts at enlightening them.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 03 Jul 2006 13:58

Personally I thought the 1/4 finals were a realistic goal and we got there. I didn't expect Portugal to be so utterly beatable, and if I had to put our failure to do so at the feet of a single person it would undoubtedly be Rooney.

Once he did that you just knew it was going to be penalties and out.

Jay

by Jay » 03 Jul 2006 13:59

Alan Partridge Jay

:lol: Split arse! :wink:

valiant royal

by valiant royal » 03 Jul 2006 14:00

All of the above (Hargreaves, Ferdinand and A/J Coles excepted).

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 03 Jul 2006 14:03

Oh Jesus, RR is on his "I told you so" crusade. What a tosser. :roll:

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 03 Jul 2006 14:07

This thread pretty much sums up what I dislike about England fans and why England fans are so (rightly) hated all over the world.

Why does there always have to be blame involved, can England fans not just once have a little dignity and not point the finger. In sport there is always a winner and a loser, that is just how it is. England fans are probably the worst losers in the world, always someone's fault and never because on the occasion we were not the better team.

LOL @ England fans being sore losers yet again

Volvicanus
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Volvicanus » 03 Jul 2006 14:08

How interesting that there isn't the poll choice of the English fans themselves. Or more to the point- the English pysche.

You can look at this WC and it's events in isolation and perhaps blame the manager or a player, etc... but there is too much karma floating around for it to be totally plausible. Life doesn't throw you such drastic repeats of history unless there is something bigger involved.

Golden boy of english football throws a hissy and gets sent off. Sound familiar?

England go out in the semis - to Portugal - in penalties. Sound familiar?

If that were an individual - it would be very clear that life is desperately trying to get you to learn something.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 03 Jul 2006 14:09

Oh Jesus, RR is on his "I told you so" crusade. What a tosser.

How about "He was right and I shouldn't have called him an amoeba brain"?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 03 Jul 2006 14:10

He still is Mr Amoeba Brain to me.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 03 Jul 2006 14:11

Where is the option for 'there were better teams in the competition than us'?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 03 Jul 2006 14:11

SpaceCruiser He still is Mr Amoeba Brain to me.

Aw, how sweet.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 03 Jul 2006 14:17

soggy biscuit This thread pretty much sums up what I dislike about England fans and why England fans are so (rightly) hated all over the world.

Why does there always have to be blame involved, can England fans not just once have a little dignity and not point the finger. In sport there is always a winner and a loser, that is just how it is. England fans are probably the worst losers in the world, always someone's fault and never because on the occasion we were not the better team.

LOL @ England fans being sore losers yet again

Fair point. I made the poll to see who people are holding responsible, not to endorse any of the views - I completely accept that we did not deserve to progress further - but there must be a reason for this. Perhaps therefore, I should have entitled the question - Why are we going home early? There has been a failure to recognise our potential, and this thread is designed to seek peoples views on what factor they felt was most significant.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 03 Jul 2006 14:21

Ginger Ninjas Why are we going home early?

We are going home just about on time in my opinion.

Harold

by Harold » 03 Jul 2006 14:27

I blame Sven. If Mourinho had been in charge of our national team with the same or similar squad they would have won it.