RUMOUR - Eidur Gudjohnsen on loan until january?

IcelandicStokie

RUMOUR - Eidur Gudjohnsen on loan until january?

by IcelandicStokie » 07 Nov 2010 14:32

Apparently Stoke are in negotiations with Reading and Coventry trying to loan Eidur Gudjohnsen in order for him to regain match fitness until january. So he could be a Reading player this week. This is according to the State Radio here in Iceland.

Sorry should be in rumour gossip section.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Eidur Gudjohnsen on loan until january?

by roadrunner » 07 Nov 2010 15:06

IcelandicStokie Apparently Stoke are in negotiations with Reading and Coventry trying to loan Eidur Gudjohnsen in order for him to regain match fitness until january. So he could be a Reading player this week. This is according to the State Radio here in Iceland.

What's the point in a 4-5-1? But yes please in a 4-4-2.

comeonyouroyals

by comeonyouroyals » 07 Nov 2010 15:15

roadrunner
IcelandicStokie Apparently Stoke are in negotiations with Reading and Coventry trying to loan Eidur Gudjohnsen in order for him to regain match fitness until january. So he could be a Reading player this week. This is according to the State Radio here in Iceland.

What's the point in a 4-5-1? But yes please in a 4-4-2.

Not really in a 4-5-1 you need a striker who can hold the ball up, take his chances and have good vision to play others in and Gudjohnsen can do all off that! Can also fill in behind the striker aswell!

Not that I can actually see this happening as much as I would like it to.

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 07 Nov 2010 18:08

McDermott said he only wants to bring someone in on loan if they will sign permanently after the loan deal.

BUT

Brian isn't stupid enough to let a chance like this pass by.

Would love it to happen, but not too sure if it will :(

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - Eidur Gudjohnsen on loan until january?

by Y21_Royal » 07 Nov 2010 18:46

Gudjohnsen hasn't played up front for a long time. He shifted to midfield at Barca and has continued to play there for Monaco, Spurs and Stoke. I could see him doing a fantastic job playing in the hole

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 07 Nov 2010 20:38

Just the sort of player we could do with positionally. Has the ability to play well up when the situation requires, deeper when necessary or "in the hole".
Whether we could realistically get him and how match fit he would be is, of course, another matter.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Nov 2010 21:00

If he's still up for it and is still capable (and not just taking his pay and struggling to play full pelt) then it think he'd be perfect to add that bit of quality we're so obviously lacking.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 07 Nov 2010 22:08

Would be terrific to have him. If its between us and Coventry surely we have a chance. Ideal replacement for Siggy even though it would be short-term.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 08 Nov 2010 08:06

:shock: :lol:

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 08 Nov 2010 16:31

Surprise surprise McDermott has said this isn't true. Why doesn't he do us all a favour and just say he has no intention of bringing in a loan player at the moment. Would save a lot of speculation even though it would annoy us.

I cannot believe they couldn't have found a loan player if they really have been looking all this time.

Yellowcoat

by Yellowcoat » 08 Nov 2010 16:34

He has said that several times but then the usual suspects on here ignore it.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 08 Nov 2010 17:53

Elmer Park Surprise surprise McDermott has said this isn't true. Why doesn't he do us all a favour and just say he has no intention of bringing in a loan player at the moment. Would save a lot of speculation even though it would annoy us.

Perhaps he wants the players to think that if they don't perform consistantly to a decent standard he will go and bring one or two in and shake things up a bit and uses that for motivation. I really don't think he cares much about some kids on here getting annoyed by mindless speculation.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 08 Nov 2010 20:31

What would be the point?
On another thread we were discussing building a team and not patching it up-this would be patching it up because of wages in the long term etc.
There must be somebody out there playing either for a lower division club or a Premier reserves side who can actually play as a striker with enough skill and strength to hold the ball up,something that none of our current lot can do.
Emnes did the job well yesterday as does Scotland now with Ipswich but until Brian falls out with his adopted son Shane we will carry on playing hit and miss football.

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 08 Nov 2010 21:02

You make a fair if impolite point Roadrunner. I accept my view is born out of frustration that another encouraging bit of transfer gossip had been doused by the Club but very little transfer gossip discussed on here is started by Nobbers except the ludicrous but hopefully tongue in cheek suggestion of moving for John Carew.

Many fans of all ages enjoy speculating about potential transfer targets. In fact interestingly you clearly read and post on the the UR&G board yourself so I take it you yourself have an interest in mindless speculation. In fact aren't you speculating about the situation yourself with your theory about McDermott using the threat of a loan player as motivation ? Since your views are as valid as mine I will show you due respect and not call you a kid or your opinion mindless. Contrary to what many people on the team board each fan is entitled to their view.

My view happens to be that any money spent on loan fees and wages will come out of the limited transfer budget available for a small permanent purchase in January and consequently the Management have a very limited commitment to bringing in a loan player before then. That is fair enough but I am like most fans frustrated that we haven't managed to address the perceived shortcomings in the attacking third. Should Gudjohnson remain at Stoke this gossip can be consigned to history but should he move on loan to Coventry for example I reserve the right to ask why not Reading.

Apologies to anyone else that reads this posting as I hate this sort of post normally.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 09 Nov 2010 09:07

Good post - one thing the management don't seem to consider is the impact a 'trophy' signing like EG could/would have on ticket sales, which would at least partially balance the cost. The club wonders why season ticket sales have been so flat in recent years .... but there really has not been anything to be excited about at those times. Now, I know that trophy signings can often turn out to be expensive flops, but this club hasn't really risked that kind of thing since the days of Goater and Salako, so maybe it would be worth a gamble now and again?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Nov 2010 10:12

Elmer Park Surprise surprise McDermott has said this isn't true. Why doesn't he do us all a favour and just say he has no intention of bringing in a loan player at the moment. Would save a lot of speculation even though it would annoy us.

I cannot believe they couldn't have found a loan player if they really have been looking all this time.

he said he wants a loan player that will sign permenantly later.

thats a little harder to find

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Nov 2010 15:03

Yellowcoat He has said that several times but then the usual suspects on here ignore it.

Actually I don't think that's true.

His usual line is he can't find anything better than what we've got. Now that's obviously not quite the case, and what he really means is I don't want to replace what I've got OR I can't afford a half decent player.

Victor Meldrew What would be the point?
On another thread we were discussing building a team and not patching it up-this would be patching it up because of wages in the long term etc.

VM, the point of bringing in a short term signing would be to cover the glaring weakness in our squad. I agree that a long term signing would be more beneficial and much more desirable, but if one can't be found then the club would benefit massively from getting in a short term stop gap to provide a bit of craft and cutting edge.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 09 Nov 2010 15:29

But it might put us in the dangerous position of getting closer to promotion ... now that wouldn't do would it? :D

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Nov 2010 17:20

dont get that argument.

i can see no other way of JM getting the money he is owed by the club, other than by us winning promotion, and him selling up when the asset is at its highest value

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 09 Nov 2010 18:28

Y21_Royal Gudjohnsen hasn't played up front for a long time. He shifted to midfield at Barca and has continued to play there for Monaco, Spurs and Stoke. I could see him doing a fantastic job playing in the hole

AGree but it WONT happen