RUMOUR - Bertrand, Clyne and Zaha

509 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: RUMOUR - Bertrand, Clyne and Zaha

by SCIAG » 24 Apr 2012 17:13

Clyne is a very good Championship right back, but we already have at least one of those. Is it worth paying £4m or whatever to upgrade Cummings for one model up? IMO no- if we're going to sign a right back, get an experienced one. Liam Rosenior would be my pick on the Championship right backs but he's burned his bridges. There must be someone in the Premiership or Ligue 1 who would have a bit more experience and nous for a similar price. Kyle Naughton maybe?

Zaha, exciting young player, but he'll be overpriced, and we don't need wingers very much. If we do decide to get an extra winger, we can find better value elsewhere.

Bertrand, YES. He's not a youngster any more, and as such he can't sit around waiting for Chelsea to drop Ashley Cole. A lot of the time Bosingwa has been preferred to him and he didn't make the CL squad. In any case, I reckon a new Chelsea manager would sign a new left back rather than play this kid he's barely heard of.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 24 Apr 2012 17:19

SCIAG Clyne is a very good Championship right back, but we already have at least one of those. Is it worth paying £4m or whatever to upgrade Cummings for one model up? IMO no- if we're going to sign a right back, get an experienced one. Liam Rosenior would be my pick on the Championship right backs but he's burned his bridges. There must be someone in the Premiership or Ligue 1 who would have a bit more experience and nous for a similar price. Kyle Naughton maybe?

Zaha, exciting young player, but he'll be overpriced, and we don't need wingers very much. If we do decide to get an extra winger, we can find better value elsewhere.

Bertrand, YES. He's not a youngster any more, and as such he can't sit around waiting for Chelsea to drop Ashley Cole. A lot of the time Bosingwa has been preferred to him and he didn't make the CL squad. In any case, I reckon a new Chelsea manager would sign a new left back rather than play this kid he's barely heard of.

Clyne is a free this summer and his fee will be decided by a tribunal. Some are hinting at around £2m.

Zaha interests a number of Premiership clubs and is thought to be available for around £6-7m.

Bertrand I just can't see. He's started to get games at Chelsea. Only a change of manager who brings in a new left back will see Bertrand leave, and even then there will be a que of Premiership clubs wanting him. English's left backs go for a pretty penny too.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Apr 2012 17:25

Friday's Legacy Clyne is a free this summer and his fee will be decided by a tribunal. Some are hinting at around £2m.

Zaha interests a number of Premiership clubs and is thought to be available for around £6-7m.

Bertrand I just can't see. He's started to get games at Chelsea. Only a change of manager who brings in a new left back will see Bertrand leave, and even then there will be a que of Premiership clubs wanting him. English's left backs go for a pretty penny too.

I didn't realise he was a free transfer, that makes more sense I suppose. Still think we could do better by bringing in a slightly older player.

£6m is silly money really and seems to be based on good performances on the cups. Compare that to Sigurdsson who had done a lot more. I know who I'd rather we through cash at.

There aren't a long list of English left backs who have been transferred that we can compare Bertrand to. Shorey, Baines and Warnock were all experienced Premiership players and England internationals when they transferred. If nothing else, a season long loan to a Premiership club could do wonders for him.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 24 Apr 2012 19:37

SCIAG Clyne is a very good Championship right back, but we already have at least one of those. Is it worth paying £4m or whatever to upgrade Cummings for one model up? IMO no.

This is nonsense really though, cummings has improved a hell of a lot but hes not a very good championship right back...he's not even a regular for us. Clyne has attracted prem interest and seems to be a very hot property outside the prem, similar to lescott back in the day in coming through young, cementing his place and getting better with each season. There is some truth in the premiership experience comments but he would be a massive upgrade from cummings of griffin.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Apr 2012 20:41

FiNeRaIn
SCIAG Clyne is a very good Championship right back, but we already have at least one of those. Is it worth paying £4m or whatever to upgrade Cummings for one model up? IMO no.

This is nonsense really though, cummings has improved a hell of a lot but hes not a very good championship right back...he's not even a regular for us. Clyne has attracted prem interest and seems to be a very hot property outside the prem, similar to lescott back in the day in coming through young, cementing his place and getting better with each season. There is some truth in the premiership experience comments but he would be a massive upgrade from cummings of griffin.

31 starts for a player who's had an injury and started the season second choice is pretty regular. especially starting 22 games in a row. He's got room to improve for certain but he's moving towards very good Championship Right Back, even if he maybe isn't quite there yet...

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 25 Apr 2012 00:25

Jizzing my pants over the thought of Berty at left back and Clyne at right back

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 25 Apr 2012 01:37

FiNeRaIn

A bit harsh on Cummings, maybe, but you could add that the Premiership is like Noah's Ark. You need two of everything, and Cummings has shown that he won't go into a sulk if he's not first choice, but rather will work hard to improve his game. In almost every way, it would be ideal to have a more accomplished RB with Cummings as second choice developing his game. He will get his chances, no doubt.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 25 Apr 2012 03:51

After what happened at Camp Nou last night I wouldn't assume there will be someone new managing Chelsea next season. :wink:

But that being said I can see Bertrand being made available if the price is right. He claims that he remains very affectionate towards Reading due to how well the fans treated him while he was here. I can see him wanting to play 1st team football in the PL next year and with Cole blocking his path at Chelsea and seeing that Reading, he club he liked playing for, is now in the PL, well......

As far as Clyne and Zaha go. I would love to see us get Zaha...and Clyne is we can't get Bertrand. Both are quality.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 25 Apr 2012 10:13

Jano Perhaps he didn't have the best of games against us, only thing I saw was yet another over hyped over expensive young British talent.

IMHO, far better off spending that money elsewhere.

LOL - did you actually watch the game?

Everytime he got the ball he looked dangerous - it was his team-mates not supporting him that let him down, but when he had the ball at his feet he kept tight control of it and put in some decent balls, as well as scoring a good goal nipping in between our normally solid back line.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 25 Apr 2012 10:32

TBM
Jano Perhaps he didn't have the best of games against us, only thing I saw was yet another over hyped over expensive young British talent.

Everytime he got the ball he looked dangerous - it was his team-mates not supporting him that let him down, but when he had the ball at his feet he kept tight control of it and put in some decent balls, as well as scoring a good goal nipping in between our normally solid back line.

I agree - thought Zaha was the stand out player on the pitch ion Saturday. I was a bit surprised as I thought he was a bit overrated from the odd TV apperance I have seen from him before.

Jano

by Jano » 25 Apr 2012 12:25

TBM

I've already said I was there, and I watched him get more and more frustrated as the game went on. I've also said that while he looked dangerous, and has looked dangerous for much of the season, against CHAMPIONSHIP defences, there is a massive difference at Premiership level. I do not think he looked good enough to trouble the majority of top flight teams, and add that in with the fact that he seemed to be frustrated very easily, to me (and remember this is my opinion) that means he would be a liability.

As for decent balls in, when? Can't remember one at all in the second half that got anywhere near Murray.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 25 Apr 2012 13:43

Jano (and remember this is my opinion)

Thats cool

You're wrong though

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 25 Apr 2012 16:10

He's 19 FFS. It's like saying Neymar will never be good enough forth premiership because he gives it away too much and gets easily frustrated...

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 25 Apr 2012 16:22

Thing is with Zaha, Palace have either played him out of necessity, or with a little more faith than what we show in our youngsters. He's highly rated, but do we know if he is any better than Obita?

I think Obita is about a year or so younger but for this reason, and until we know how good Obita is, is it worth buying a player for £millions that may not be any better?

The club (McDermott, Hammond, Dolan) etc. obviously know who they rate higher, I guess it's out of playing seasoned pro's in order to get experience in the side that we don't.

Is a little frustrating but I wouldn't swap 'blooding' youngsters for playing Premier League football.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 25 Apr 2012 16:31

Super Kevin Bremner! Thing is with Zaha, Palace have either played him out of necessity, or with a little more faith than what we show in our youngsters. He's highly rated, but do we know if he is any better than Obita?

I think Obita is about a year or so younger but for this reason, and until we know how good Obita is, is it worth buying a player for £millions that may not be any better?

The club (McDermott, Hammond, Dolan) etc. obviously know who they rate higher, I guess it's out of playing seasoned pro's in order to get experience in the side that we don't.

Is a little frustrating but I wouldn't swap 'blooding' youngsters for playing Premier League football.

Get Obita in the Championship next season, on loan

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Apr 2012 16:49

can't understand why people are making zaha out to be average or similar to obita. Whilst his decision making against us needed some improvement his natural ability and physique as well as ball control is a lot better tham most premiership players, he reminded me of a poor mans cristiano ronaldo in his early days. Im not saying he's going to be anywhere near as good, but he has loads of raw talent and given the right education will be a massive talent.
Obita is a prospect but is light years behind, he's done ok out on loan but hardly set the world alight, whether or not palace were forced to blood him early makes no difference im afraid as his quality is there for all to see, its obvious why they turned down a big bid from bolton for him. He's young, he's raw and has a bit to learn but in terms of young prospects in this country is amongst the top pile.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 25 Apr 2012 17:20

Obita has the making of a very good player but he is at least a year or two behind Zaha in development and needs a season in the Championship.

Surely the solution is to buy Zaha and loan Obita to Palace for a season as part of the deal - as he is almost a like for like replacement.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Apr 2012 19:07

andrew1957 Surely the solution is to buy Zaha and loan Obita to Palace for a season as part of the deal - as he is almost a like for like replacement.

Are you seriously suggestign Obita has anything in common with zaha other than the fact he's a winger? One is a proven championship player attracting interest from prem clubs, one couldn't get in an injury hit reading team playing strikers on the wing to compensate :|

The comparison stops at the position they play, stop being bias..its a massive downgrade for palace.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 25 Apr 2012 19:26

I would love us to sign all three of these, but I think we'll end up with none of them. Bertrand has really impressed while standing in for Cole so I can't see him leaving.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 25 Apr 2012 19:28

FiNeRaIn
andrew1957 Surely the solution is to buy Zaha and loan Obita to Palace for a season as part of the deal - as he is almost a like for like replacement.

Are you seriously suggestign Obita has anything in common with zaha other than the fact he's a winger? One is a proven championship player attracting interest from prem clubs, one couldn't get in an injury hit reading team playing strikers on the wing to compensate :|

The comparison stops at the position they play, stop being bias..its a massive downgrade for palace.

Typical of you writing off a VERY promising young player who has already scored goals on loan and who you have probably never seen play. I have watched him in the flesh a few times now and he is a PL player in the making. He could do very well in the Championship next season. He is only 18 so was never going to be risked in our first team this season.

509 posts