SPECULATION - Nicky Maynard

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: SPECULATION - Nicky Maynard

by Dirk Gently » 01 Aug 2008 19:23

Ian Royal
Southbank Old Boy I've never seen Henry win much in the air when I've seen him play. That doesn't mean he's no good in the air, just that he's not really in a position where you end up challenging for much in the air.

Height doesn't mean you can compete well in the air either. Strength, timing and courage are very important too and from the look of Kebe I really can't see him being too much use defending set pieces!

Indeed, for example Crouch and Asaba. Both might as well not have/had heads.

Plus Nicky Shorey, who is superb in the air for his size - his timing on when to jump to win the ball is absolutely phenomenal. He had to learn this skill or he'd never have made it in the game, whereas because Crouch has always been tall he's never actually had to learn to jump.

BonBoh

by BonBoh » 01 Aug 2008 19:30

I actually remember a strike force of Fozzy, Cureton and Butler...
None of them were terrifically tall, yet thew all scored goals aplenty.

This year will see low balls drilled into the area with the lads banging them in from all angles. It will all depend on the delivery from the wings and I am hopeful that messieurs Convey, Kebe, Hunt S., Hunt N. Henry, Rosenior, Shorey, etc. will deliver.

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 01 Aug 2008 19:31

BonBoh I actually remember a strike force of Fozzy, Cureton and Butler...
None of them were terrifically tall, yet thew all scored goals aplenty

This year will see low balls drilled into the area with the lads banging them in from all angles. It will all depend on the delivery from the wings and I am hopeful that messieurs Convey, Kebe, Hunt S., Hunt N. Henry, Rosenior, Shorey, etc. will deliver.

In..........league 1 ( old division 2 )

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Aug 2008 01:13

Dirk Gently
Ian Royal
Southbank Old Boy I've never seen Henry win much in the air when I've seen him play. That doesn't mean he's no good in the air, just that he's not really in a position where you end up challenging for much in the air.

Height doesn't mean you can compete well in the air either. Strength, timing and courage are very important too and from the look of Kebe I really can't see him being too much use defending set pieces!

Indeed, for example Crouch and Asaba. Both might as well not have/had heads.

Plus Nicky Shorey, who is superb in the air for his size - his timing on when to jump to win the ball is absolutely phenomenal. He had to learn this skill or he'd never have made it in the game, whereas because Crouch has always been tall he's never actually had to learn to jump.

I'd say Crouch's problem is he assumes you HAVE to jump to head the ball. How often do you see him leaning on a player so he can jump and lean forward and down to reach the ball. Whereas if he'd just stood still and leaned forward he'd have got a good connection.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 02 Aug 2008 16:11

Hat-trick on his debut for Bristol City.