Rodgers reactions in interview indicate realistic transfers

windjammer
Location: Now living down in Cornwall, but missing the Royals

Re: Rodgers reactions in interview indicate realistic transfers

by windjammer » 10 Jul 2009 11:00

The reaction of the Watford chairman to Rodgers's comments about Smith is exactly the same as would be Sir John's if the boot were on the other foot. I'm afraid Rodgers is revealing his inexperience as a manager. Perhaps he thinks he can get away with it just like his erstwhile mentor the "Chosen One" did at Stamford Bridge. At the moment Rodgers talks a good game but I think when the real thing starts he will be found wanting. In the bottom half by Christmas?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Jul 2009 13:06

Bottom Half? You want some money on that?

One unknown is how long Ingi will be out (and whether he will get back to his best)

Noel looks like he might not be ready for the season start.

Bikey will be out for a few games with his suspension, and we start against my "dark horse" for the league (hope I'm wrong)

But we have a very strong squad and IMO a great manager. I think SCC and the squad "lost it" last year
and performed a long way below expectations. That is they were capable of a far higher finish.

Based on that, and I see Rodgers as a very good manager, I'll be seriously shocked to see us out of the top six.

One thing worries me is our strikers. All good enough IMO in a 4-4-2 but are any of them right as target man and holding up in 4-5-1?

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 10 Jul 2009 13:09

Snowball Bikey will be out for a few games with his suspension, and we start against my "dark horse" for the league (hope I'm wrong)

3 games - one of which is the Burton LC game.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 10 Jul 2009 13:20

T.R.O.L.I.
Snowball Bikey will be out for a few games with his suspension, and we start against my "dark horse" for the league (hope I'm wrong)

It is 4 games....

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1664045,00.html

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 10 Jul 2009 13:34

Hopefully sold long before then.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 Jul 2009 13:41

Deathy Hopefully sold long before then.

Wouldn't be in the slightest surprised.....

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 10 Jul 2009 13:44

Wycombe Royal
T.R.O.L.I.

It is 4 games....

Furry muff - missed that one (not surprised by the extra game though given his reaction).

windjammer

by windjammer » 10 Jul 2009 22:52

Snowball Bottom Half? You want some money on that?

One unknown is how long Ingi will be out (and whether he will get back to his best)

Noel looks like he might not be ready for the season start.

Bikey will be out for a few games with his suspension, and we start against my "dark horse" for the league (hope I'm wrong)

But we have a very strong squad and IMO a great manager. I think SCC and the squad "lost it" last year
and performed a long way below expectations. That is they were capable of a far higher finish.

Based on that, and I see Rodgers as a very good manager, I'll be seriously shocked to see us out of the top six.

One thing worries me is our strikers. All good enough IMO in a 4-4-2 but are any of them right as target man and holding up in 4-5-1?

Rodgers may have helped to keep Watford out of the relegation slots but who's to know another caretaker might have done that too. If Malcy Mackay had been appointed then he might have been the Watford saviour. What I am saying is Rodgers is talking a good game, but then so did Bullivant and Tommy Burns and we all know how they turned out. As someone who remembers Royals in the lower reaches of the 3rd tier and a quarter full Madejski I d never want to see that again. At least back in the Elm Park days (ah the South Bank) our expectations were lower. I hope Rodgers is given time to build a new squad but I think this will take 2 or 3 years at least and I don't think some HobNobbers have the patience and they wouldn't put up with another Saints, Norwich, Leeds or Charlton. People like you are building him up in advance, as yet as a No1 he is unproven and to make rash predictions about getting back into Europe at this time is just ridiculous.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Jul 2009 23:35

Since when did Burns and Bullivant talk a good game?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 11 Jul 2009 05:25

I've been more impressed with Rodgers so far than the early days of any other managerial appointment made by the club.

Bullivant (good coach though he is) never talked a good game or gave the supporters any inspiration, mind you he was never going to recover from his jolly comment that he'd just go back to the taxis if it didn't work out.

Burns was very knowledgeable and but again didn't really inspire the supporters after his first few weeks in charge. This was mainly due to the, number of terrible signings, the amount of bland performances and total failure to bring in someone to the managerial staff who understood the game in the lower divisions.

Clodagh has at least said the right things and got people anticipating and looking forward to the new season, how that translates into performances and results though remains to be seen. He has set our ultimate goal to be getting into Europe (presumably by way of league position :lol: ) and that's a solid believeable aim to which the club can aspire. As far as I know he hasn't said "Europe in 2 years", or something daft like that, so can't see how he is making rash predictions.

Only time will tell, best to be judging him after 6 months of games not after a month of pre-season non activity.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 11 Jul 2009 08:23

Ian Royal Since when did Burns and Bullivant talk a good game?

Burns certainly did

His fans forum on the southbank was an excellent introduction to the fans for starters

windjammer

by windjammer » 11 Jul 2009 10:47

The expectations when Burns came in were high as we had supposedly tried to get him in before but he had turned us down then (wasn't he one of the Newcastle coaches then?). Then when he he signed all those Jocks , Fleck, McIntyre etc, he was going to save us from relegation . Certainly JM was singing his praises and saying what a great appointment it was. Bullivant is a good example of a well respected coach, nice guy, but totally unsuited to the top job. Of course I want Rodgers to succeed, I am a Royals supporter, but we have seen these levels of expectation before and have been disappointed. I still think his comments on the Smith situation are ill-judged, certainly Coppell would not have made them.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jul 2009 12:12

windjammer

The expectations when Burns came in were high as we had supposedly tried to get him in before but he had turned us down then (wasn't he one of the Newcastle coaches then?). Then when he he signed all those Jocks , Fleck, McIntyre etc, he was going to save us from relegation . Certainly JM was singing his praises and saying what a great appointment it was. Bullivant is a good example of a well respected coach, nice guy, but totally unsuited to the top job. Of course I want Rodgers to succeed, I am a Royals supporter, but we have seen these levels of expectation before and have been disappointed. I still think his comments on the Smith situation are ill-judged, certainly Coppell would not have made them.

So what you're saying is, they didn't talk a good game. SJM did and we expected a lot because Burns had managed Celtic?
Anyone who really thought we had a chance of staying up with the magShiticent 7 was suffering from delusions.

The difference is Rodgers IS talking an excellent game and that is where the expectation comes from. Terry the Taxi got off on the wrong foot almost instantly, and it was everyone ELSE talking up Burns.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jul 2009 12:14

Southbank Old Boy

Burns certainly did

His fans forum on the southbank was an excellent introduction to the fans for starters

hmm. well I guess I'll have to take your word for it. I just remember expecting a lot because of his history and the fact we'd gone down so it should have been easier to do well.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 11 Jul 2009 14:44

Body LOLanguage

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 12 Jul 2009 09:27

Ian Royal
Southbank Old Boy

Burns certainly did

hmm. well I guess I'll have to take your word for it. I just remember expecting a lot because of his history and the fact we'd gone down so it should have been easier to do well.

Burns talked a lot about bringing in better players and a passing game to the club

He was a big name manager for us, and I certainly dont remember him playing down anything or making daft comments in the media that made him look anything but a successful manager for us

He made a big point of coming along to watch a game or two from the Southbank (in disguise) and that he saw the passion and potential of the club

He was the one who was talking about taking us up to the next level and making the club more than it was, thanks to the money JM was going to be giving him

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 12 Jul 2009 11:11

Wycombe Royal
T.R.O.L.I.

It is 4 games....

I thought it was 5, maybe even 6.

It was a 4 game ban just for the red, as he had already been sent off for violent conduct once already that season. Then another 2 were added on due to a misconduct charge?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Jul 2009 14:41

Well, I guess I was off to uni not long after he came in so maybe I missed all that. I don't think I'd found HNA at that point.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 13 Jul 2009 08:46

gazzer, loyal royal
Wycombe Royal
T.R.O.L.I. 3 games - one of which is the Burton LC game.

It is 4 games....

I thought it was 5, maybe even 6.

It was a 4 game ban just for the red, as he had already been sent off for violent conduct once already that season. Then another 2 were added on due to a misconduct charge?

He only got given a one match extra ban for the misconduct charge.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 13 Jul 2009 08:56

It's not difficult. He got a 4 match ban for the red automatically, then he got an extra 1 tagged on for the tantrum. That makes it 5 games. He missed the Burnley home leg, so that leaves 4 games to serve. 3 will be league games and 1 will be the league cup (which he probably wouldn't have played in anyway). This is all assuming he will still be here by then.