The Danny Loader conundrum

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

The Danny Loader conundrum

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Apr 2019 18:32

Looking to next season, there are a lot of split views on Danny Loader. Clearly he has talent. He tears up the U23s; he is an England U17 world cup winner and capped for U19s too, in a talented generation. On FM19 he's immense (a game I know)

Yet he hasn't quite looked ready for the first team this season. He plays reasonably well, but is found lacking at key moments. For the chances on Monday, he lacked conviction. He doesn't seem to believe he belongs at this level yet. A bit of confidence or arrogance is what he needs.

I think a loan to L1 or L2 next season is the worst solution to be honest. I can see him being bullied in the lower leagues and a bad loan spell would only make the situation worse. He is also a technical player and should be working with a manager like Gomes who values that.

It's also easy to forget he only turned 18 in October. He's been playing for a club slugging away at the bottom. Somebody of his age should be coming off the bench when we're 2-0 up or starting in a safe mid table battle. I'd also say he's getting into the right positions; he is not completely of his depth. I think his criticism is completely unjustified when you consider this.

Hopefully a good preseason can help him feel like he belongs in this team. Once his first goal comes, more will follow. I expect he'll get a chance against Brum. I wouldn't start him away at Boro against a physical Pulis team though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Danny Loader conundrum

by Hound » 24 Apr 2019 18:45

Broadly agree. He needs to get stronger - which I’m sure he will. He is too passive and too easily knocked off the ball at the moment. No doubts due to being only 18

I’d consider a season in say the Dutch league - less physical, about the right standard. Agree a loan to L1 or L2 could be disastrous

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Apr 2019 19:01

He's improved immensely this season but agree that he doesn't quite look ready to be playing regularly. Unsure whether a good pre-season would help - he's had good pre-seasons before (remember a few years ago when he scored four or five goals in a first team friendly and immediately became everyone's saviour?) so I think it's more about the competition than the first team.

Like the idea of sending him abroad. The Dutch, Belgian, and German leagues could all offer opportunities for him to get some competitive action.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 24 Apr 2019 19:18

Very timely thread about a player who is baffling.

I mean he absolutely looks the part, he has got the pedigree and we have been hearing good things for a couple of years now.

But he’s now on 7+14 apps and the only goal i recall him involved in was the one that cost us two points at Bolton, sadly. He doesn't seem to have a position other than attacking central midfield (no 10) which you can'talways fit in the lineup. And he seems quiet in first team games whereas you'd hope there would be some situations / moments he'd dominate now.

In the interview on Berks on Monday he came over quite well in a coached sort of way. Daft thing to say, you'll probbaly confirm, but it is almost like he is the anti-Robin Friday and he needs to let rip a little. As many say, maybe it will happen after he scores the winner for the first time. I hope so.

I hope he stays here next season. Too valuable a prospect to be ruined by the likes of Dundee United.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Apr 2019 19:37

Hound Broadly agree. He needs to get stronger - which I’m sure he will. He is too passive and too easily knocked off the ball at the moment. No doubts due to being only 18

I’d consider a season in say the Dutch league - less physical, about the right standard. Agree a loan to L1 or L2 could be disastrous

Yeah agree. What he needs is some conviction and swagger. He seems intimidated when he needn't be because he's got all the attributes.

I do wonder whether he might benefit from a sports psychologist working on his mental approach.

If we persist with him in the first team I also think he'd benefit from being moved out of the cluttered centre of the pitch and onto the wing where he might enjoy a bit more space and time to get the ball down, face goal and have a go at defenders.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 24 Apr 2019 20:05

Bit of an ask to send a teenage lad over to the continent.

That's alright if you're someone like Novakovich who has already had to live away from home and is used to it but a bit more difficult for Loader.

I don't like the loan system tbh. Would rather we took the Southampton approach of keeping the best young players at the club where you can manage their development yourselves.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Apr 2019 20:23

Keep him is my answer. He's got all the attributes to be a quality player. Let him grow in confidence by staying in the first team. I reckon once he scores one the flood gate will open.

Fezza

by Fezza » 24 Apr 2019 20:35

For me he looks like an outstanding Futsal player who just needs a bit more grit and awareness to succeed on a pitch with more players. I hope this will come with age and experience, certainly this season will have helped him no end.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 24 Apr 2019 20:56

I expect such great things from the young players that you hear so much about as they move through our youth system that their emergence is always disappointing. I bet the same is true for even the biggest clubs with many feeling a little underwhelmed when they see Foden or Hudson-Odoi at the moment.

Loader has done OK. He needs a goal, but Saturday was the best I have seen him play and being in the right place for a couple of good chances is a very good sign. It now looks as though he will score goals in the Championship, and since he is ready, I want him playing for us next year. It's nice to think of him scoring loads of goals in Holland or Scotland, but there's no need if he is good enough for our first team.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 24 Apr 2019 22:03

Given his age and rapid promotion through the ranks. He has matured and improved considerably. Given the fact the team has struggled for much of this season. Cannot be easy to come on as a striker and be expected to turn the teams fortunes around. As Meite has proved. Just give Loader time. He'll come good. Gomes will get the best out of him.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 25 Apr 2019 01:29

Lower West Given his age and rapid promotion through the ranks. He has matured and improved considerably. Given the fact the team has struggled for much of this season. Cannot be easy to come on as a striker and be expected to turn the teams fortunes around. As Meite has proved. Just give Loader time. He'll come good. Gomes will get the best out of him.

I'm hopeful on Loader, esp at 18 years young. But yes, the best situation for him (and for us) could be debated.
True, we’ve struggled, but would he have had more opportunities on a successful team? Not sure to what extent he needs to be ‘toughened up’, but if he does, I'm not convinced Lg1 would be a disaster (nor would playing him in one game against Boro, imo). Sandman makes a good point, not every player settles abroad, or wants to, esp at that age. At this point, I won't assume that after scoring once in the Champ it would result in him scoring a flood of them. (Or at least, I wouldn’t build up the expectation of that). Hope he grows a bit more as playing against two tree trunks is commonplace in Champ. Meite has progressed well, although obv one players fortunes doesn’t necessarily always correlate to another.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Apr 2019 08:05

He should be loaned abroad, get some experience playing in different conditions out of his comfort zone which will make him stronger as a player and stronger as a person.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 25 Apr 2019 08:27

sandman Bit of an ask to send a teenage lad over to the continent.

LOL, The Lads agent was trying to get him a permanent move to Germany before the Club gave him an extended contract, Loader himself was up for the move.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Apr 2019 08:48

Well aware of that as I posted the rumour in R&G.

Doesn't mean it's in his best interests though. Which I would trust the club to be interested in more than an agent who gets a cut of any transfer deal.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 25 Apr 2019 09:33

72 bus
sandman Bit of an ask to send a teenage lad over to the continent.

LOL, The Lads agent was trying to get him a permanent move to Germany before the Club gave him an extended contract, Loader himself was up for the move.

Germany is a bit of a trendy place to go to at the moment, so you can see why he might be interested. He'd need to learn German, uproot his life etc and as sandman says, he's still young, it might not work for him.

The atmosphere up to a month/2 months ago has been awful. For a young player to come into that is difficult, especially one that will be all too aware that he hasn't scored.

I think he needs to know he has the trust of the manager in whatever position the manager wants to play him and the fans need to support him. All very touchy feely but football is about confidence, especially with such a young player. As we saw with Long. I still think he's worth persisting with.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 25 Apr 2019 09:55

I think a big decision on Nova should be coming in the summer too, there are is bound to be interest from Holland.
One year left on his contract and can leave for nothing next year. I`m all for getting him back here next season. big and strong, just what we need.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 25 Apr 2019 13:53

If it's correct that he would get bullied in league one etc then surely sending him out to a so-called soft league in Holland or Belgium is counter intuitive.

A more likely solution would be to lock him a room with a raw steak and medicine ball and have him wrestle a grizzly bear for a few days.

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 25 Apr 2019 13:56

He needs to spend some time with his brother when it comes to finishing. Both get into great positions though.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 25 Apr 2019 14:58

windermereROYAL I think a big decision on Nova should be coming in the summer too, there are is bound to be interest from Holland.
One year left on his contract and can leave for nothing next year. I`m all for getting him back here next season. big and strong, just what we need.

I was wondering how long it would take before someone piped up about him. Forget him - he will never, ever play for Reading again because he isn't good enough to do so.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 25 Apr 2019 15:01

all he is missing at this level is a bit of confidence, bulk and experience