by Barry the bird boggler »
01 Jun 2011 09:37
01 Jun 2011 09:37
From Yahoo...
Blazer sack attempt ahead of FIFA vote
Wed, 01 Jun 07:21:00 2011
As FIFA prepares to decide whether to re-elect Sepp Blatter as president on Wednesday, there was an attempt to sack whistle-blower Chuck Blazer from his position as general secretary of CONCACAF.
While FIFA shudders in the aftershock of bribery allegations, sponsors' disquiet and growing calls for reform, Blazer - the man who's whistle-blowing led to the suspension of two senior FIFA executives including Blatter's only rival for the presidency Mohamed Bin Hammam - was sacked.
An hour later, however, the regional body for North and Central America and the Caribbean declared that move invalid, saying the acting president's attempt to remove Blazer had been "unauthorised".
And on Wednesday morning the head of the German FA Theo Zwanziger said he did not expect the re-election of Blatter to be delayed - and called for the governing body to re-examine the award of the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.
"There is a considerable degree of suspicion that one cannot simply sweep aside, and I must expect that awarding this World Cup under these conditions needs to be examined anew," he told German television, referring to Qatar.
The Blazer incident, the latest fiasco including figures that govern the sport, magnified the chaos surrounding FIFA's congress in Zurich where the FA are leading calls for the presidential vote to be postponed. Political alliances have been torn apart and Swiss President Micheline Calmy-Rey has called for swift FIFA reform.
Asian anger is growing too, with local media reporting that numbers within the Asian ranks were angered by FIFA's handling of Bin Hammam, the Qatari head of the Asian Football Confederation, suspended following bribery allegations.
"We are planning to make our voices heard," Nepal's AFC vice-president Ganesh Thapa told Singapore's Straits Times. Mohamed Hammam has been a great leader for Asia. (What FIFA has done) is not fair play."
Meanwhile, Blatter insists football is not in crisis even as sponsors voice their dismay at the ugly underbelly of the beautiful game.
The drama crossed the Atlantic late on Tuesday when the CONCACAF region's acting president Lisle Austin - standing in for the suspended Jack Warner who was implicated in the cash-for-votes scandal highlighted by Blazer - sacked Blazer as general secretary of the region's football body.
Blazer had "grossly insulted" Caribbean delegates by suggesting they were all being investigated for bribery, said Barbadian Austin, who is viewed as a close Caribbean ally of Warner's.
Blazer swiftly responded with a statement issued by CONCACAF's media department in New York that said the move was "unauthorised" and that the American remained in office.
CONCACAF issued a statement saying: "Under the CONCACAF Statutes, jurisdiction over the general secretary rests solely with the CONCACAF executive committee which has taken no action.
"Further a majority of the executive committee Members have advised Mr. Austin that he does not have the authority to take such action."
Earlier, beleaguered president Blatter had told the opening ceremony of the Congress that FIFA faced dangers, while delegates gathered in sombre mood talking of little else but the impending gloom surrounding the organisation.
The crisis at FIFA, which Blatter preferred to call "a little difficulty" on Monday, has triggered responses from around the world but it is still not certain how FIFA's normally compliant delegates will act when congress opens for business on Wednesday and Blatter is expected to be re-elected for a fourth term.
Among those backing moves to stop him were FA president Prince William, who was "fully supportive" of the proposal and "considers the transparency of the international governing body to be integral to the good governance of the game", said a spokeswoman for St James's Palace.
Swiss President Calmy-Rey told delegates in no uncertain terms what she thought of the FIFA crisis, urging the governing body to "take seriously the many criticisms voiced about corruption and a lack of transparency.
"It is important you examine them swiftly and take the necessary measures to reform your governance. It is of the utmost importance because your organisation should be an example not only to young people but to the world at large.
"What is important is to restore full confidence in the organisation; let not money spoil your ideals," she added. Poignant as Calmy-Rey's calls for reform were, more concern to FIFA may be the views of sponsors.
Visa Inc and Emirates Airlines were the latest of FIFA's most important sponsors, or 'partners' as the governing body calls them, to express disquiet at recent allegations of corruption, following in the steps of Coca-Cola and Adidas who had earlier voiced concern.
"The current situation is clearly not good for the game and we ask that FIFA take all necessary steps to resolve the concerns that have been raised," Visa Europe said in a statement.
Emirates airline expressed its concern saying it was "disappointed with the issues that are currently surrounding the administration of the sport".
The only way Blatter will not be given a new term is if the Congress proposes and passes a motion to call off the election with the support of 75 per cent of voting delegates.
That, though, is unlikely to happen. Since Blatter became president the governing body has grown rich thanks to its ability to generate billions of dollars from television rights to major tournaments as well as sponsorship deals with large corporations.
Call for a postponement of the presidential vote refuse to die down, however, and the reasons are clear.
In the space of a few days, Qatar has been tainted by suggestions it bought the 2022 World Cup; the head of Asian football Bin Hammam and CONCACAF chief Warner have been suspended over bribery allegations; and Bin Hammam withdrew from the presidential race, leaving Blatter to run unopposed.
FIFA's general secretary Jerome Valcke has since said he did not mean to suggest Qatar had used bribes to get the World Cup, Qatar has flatly denied any wrongdoing, Bin Hammam has launched an appeal against his provisional suspension.
As a result, the calls for reform have only got louder. "They should postpone the election and really clear up everything, take some time and then hold a new election," Sylvi Schenk, sports advisor for the Berlin-based watchdog Transparency International, told Reuters.